We have public heroes and we have private heroes. Here are a few that make my personal Mount Rushmore:
- The man who stood in front of the tank in Tianmen Square during the democracy uprising in Beijing.
- Kevin O’Donnell, S.J., an “obscure” Irishman who worked hard, forgave much and was as kind and gentle as you can possibly imagine.
- My sister, Sheila, a Medical Missionary of Mary in the steamy northeast of Brazil whose ministry is with prostitutes.
- Teri, Linda and all those whose children have died and who still manage to put one foot in front of the other.
- Larry Gillick, S.J. who calls his blindness a “terrible gift” and who sees into my heart better than anyone I know.
Who are your personal heroes?