When I studied in France there was an arts show on TV called Bouillon de Culture. The host, Bernard Pivot, would finish interviewing someone by asking her or him 10 questions. Imagine my surprise when, a couple of decades later, I discovered that James Lipton was using the Pivot Questions on Bravo’s Inside the Actor’s Studio.
I haven’t the foggiest idea why I suddenly thought of them this morning and you probably know them already, but just in case — and with a hat-tip to www.wowzone.com/pivot.htm — here they are:
- What is your favorite word?
- What is your least favorite word?
- What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
- What turns you off?
- What is your favorite curse word?
- What sound or noise do you love?
- What sound or noise do you hate?
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
- What profession would you not like to do?
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
You’ve got to love that last question, right?