Boy, oh boy. I sometimes get the strangest requests. I arrived into work this morning to find a voice message from one of my colleagues asking me for 5 “fun facts” about St. Ignatius Loyola that could be used for his feast day on July 31st. Here’s what I came up with:
- The youngest of 13 children.
- Was hauled up before the Spanish Inquisition on a number of occasions.
- At age 33, he joined a class of young children so he could learn Latin.
- Once allowed the donkey he was riding on to determine whether he’d follow and murder someone he thought had insulted the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- He sometimes cried with so much devotion at Mass that he couldn’t continue and feared he’d lose his eyesight.
Is there any “fun” thing about Ignatius I’ve neglected to mention?