I’ve been wondering about some gifts that we could offer this Christmas Season that are valuable, but don’t cost any money:
10. The gift of a compliment – a genuine, thoughtful appreciation of someone’s talents or wisdom
9. The gift of laughter – share a joke, a cartoon or a funny incident so that you can laugh with the ones you love.
8. The gift of solitude – allow your loved one some peace and quiet by removing yourself (and children?) from the scene for a bit.
7. The gift of a “spa evening” – if you have a hot tub or even a bath, you’re in luck with this one.
6. The gift of organization – offer to clean up someone’s clutter and/or to retype their messy address book.
5. The gift of wonder – wait for a cloudless night and take someone to look at the stars with you.
4. The gift of learning – patiently and without hassle show how to do something you know (a computer program, how to knit, etc.)
3. The gift of a favor – promise to do the dishes after Christmas dinner or babysit to let someone go out for the evening
2. The gift of writing – compose a loving note/poem/song for a loved one so she/he will know the depth of your affection.
1. The gift of listening – without interuption or any kind of mental response or reservation.
So, what have I left out?