Here are five sounds that have especially gladdened my heart:
- The BBC World Service in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep. The Beeb has been my radio companion since I was a boy and the World Service has kept me good company in France, Japan and now in the States. I’m totally addicted.
- The throaty roar of a fine sports car. Especially any 12-cylinder Ferrari. No, seriously. I’m a bit of a gear-head. Intoxicating!
- Ocean waves smashing themselves against the beach. Particularly if heard from a bedroom as I’m falling asleep. Nature’s finest tranquilizer.
- Hearty laughter – both from adults and children. The laughter is different, but both kinds fill me with wild joy.
- Spem in Alium – this 40-part Renaissance motet by Thomas Tallis is the most sublime music I’ve ever heard. If the choirs of angels are this good, we’re in for a treat.