A Week Of Gratitude – Taste

by Paul on February 5, 2010

FlatwareHow am I possibly going to limit myself to five taste sensations?  Let’s see:

1. Citron vert [lime] sorbet from Berthillon Glacier on the Ile St. Louis in Paris is life-changing.   There is a reason people line up outside this little shop in all kinds of weather.
  2. Miso soup. This salty soya broth with tofu and seaweed is sooooooo good.
  3. Te-uchi Yaki Soba.  Hand-rolled buckwheat noodles served cold with dipping sauce.  When you’re done eating, you ask for soba-yuu [the hot water the noodles were cooked in] and drink a broth made by combining it with the rest of the dipping sauce.  I’m drooling as I write…
  4. Blue Point Oysters on the half shell served with a pint of [properly poured] Guinness.  Yum Yum.
  5. The frothy deliciousness of an ice-cold beer on a hot and muggy day probably can’t be topped. Or can it?

Over to you…

Meredith Gould February 5, 2010 at 3:16 am

Easy!
1. Chocolate
2. Vanilla
3. Chocolate
4. Cream Soda (i.e., vanilla)
5. Chocolate

Any questions?

Maura February 5, 2010 at 7:18 am

The Eucharist – No, as I tell my students, it doesn’t taste like cardboard. There is a simple sweetness because of who it is. Can’t really explain it just know it tastes way different than unconsecrated hosts I’ve tasted way too many times while training Eucharistic Ministers.

My beloved’s kisses – I blush, but it is true

Ginger Bread – see previous posts:)

Oma’s fresh breads and rolls – the woman is a genius!

Soupe Au Pistou ( a french veggie soup) – about the only thing I can make from “Mastering the Art of French Cooking. ” So lovely. I haven’t figured out how to down size the receipe for our little family so I only make it for large crowds which I guess is part of the generous spirit of making soup anyway.

Marg February 5, 2010 at 8:16 am

This list is made without regard to fat content or calories!

My “Magic Cookie Bars”. After one, you will never be the same!

Wine. A big California red or a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Depending on food and season.

My husband’s spaghetti sauce or what some call “red gravy” Oh, with meatballs and sweet Italian sausage.

Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee with half & half.

Lobster tail with drawn butter.

M.

Vinita February 5, 2010 at 8:52 am

Okay, I must respond. We’re talking about taste, after all.

Middle Eastern virgin olive oil. I could pour this on just about anything.

A perfectly brewed cup of perfectly black and well-bodied tea. Favorites: Tiger Hill Estate, Kenilworth Estate, Lapsang Souchong

A form of beef stew I know only as Greek Stew, with very lean cubes of beef simmered for hours in a sauce of tomato paste, red wine, cloves, brown sugar, with whole onions and a cinnamon stick.

Greek yogurt, preferably with ground walnuts and honey

Peanut-butter and chocolate, in just about any form that uses the real versions of both.

Regina February 5, 2010 at 8:56 am

All sound delicious! Here’s my list.

1. Manicotti with a glass of Chianti
2. Really good, chewy rye bread
3. Bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich
4. A beautifully ripe peach
5. Curry!

We have to eat to live. But isn’t it great that it’s so enjoyable!

Pat February 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

1. The word of God: Psalm 119: 103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
2. Rolls fresh with butter.
3. Wild blackberries cooked with dumplings!!
4. Remember as kids we would pick honeysuckle flowers, snip off the end and pull out the nector. Sweet!
5. My grandfather would show me to pick honey locust pods, and chew the “honey” out of one side. Peculiar taste!

Eric February 5, 2010 at 11:23 am

I am very grateful to God that I have food at all. I certainly don’t deserve the wide variety of foods that I have, but again I give thanks to God. But I would like God to explain to me why the best tasting foods are terrible for health and the worst tasting foods are the ones I should eat. Now here is my list of four out of five unhealthy foods.
1. Sausage or anything with sausage in it or on it, especially pizza.
2. Bacon or anything with bacon in it or on it.
3. Anything with lots and lots of garlic.
4. Fresh buttery croissants, especially with coffee.
5. Peppermint ice cream.

Regina February 5, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Eric,

I’d like to hear that explanation, too. At least fruits are both delicious and good for you.

And garlic is reputed to be good for your heart and immune system, or so I read. I love it, too. So that’s at least one of your five you can enjoy without worrying.

Regina

Eric February 5, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Regina, I get to hear all about this every day. My daughter is an organic-only Vegan. She provides daily commentary on the wonders of her diet and the horrors of mine. Eric

Regina February 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Oh, dear. Well, I’d have an awful time giving up bacon, healthy or not.

Pat February 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Marge, can you give the recipe for your Magic Cookie Bars. I would love to try making them.

Cathy February 6, 2010 at 4:49 am

I agree that SOME things can be both good for you and delicious. I’ve recently signed up with a small local business who deliver fresh, high-quality organic fruit and vegetables to my door. They taste wonderful! Here’s the rest of my list:

- Chinotto, which is sort of the Italian equivalent to Coke, but it tastes soooo much better!
- Freezing cold water on a boiling hot day
- Curries, as made by my favourite Indian restaurant (I can never get mine to taste so good)
- Good quality chocolate – and I’m sure it tastes better if it’s Fair Trade!

Marg, I would like to second Pat’s request for the recipe for your Magic Cookie Bars. I wonder if Paul would mind if you put it on this website?

Eric February 6, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Okay I have to admit that God gave us some good tasting healthy food, mostly fruits, and some vegies when properly seasoned and roasted. I would also like to mention that my daughter has a deal where she pays an up front price and then weekly during good months drives to an organic farm 15 minutes away and brings home a big box of very fresh vegies.

Eric February 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I need to think a bit longer before I hit submit. No one has mentioned the onion. Very healthy and makes anything it is in taste wonderful.

Cathy February 7, 2010 at 1:23 am

Marg, I forgot to include another suggestion for you, since you mentioned you like wine. Did you know that, here in South Australia, and especially in the Barossa Valley, we make some of the best wine in the world? (well not me, personally, but you know what I mean!). If you like NZ wine, you’ll LOVE South Australian wine – at least, that’s my very biased opinion! Hope you can get it where you are.

While I’m about it, I’d like to add a note for Fr Paul: you mentioned in your last reply to me that you were pleased to have a non-Jesuit contact over here in Australia. Seriously, if you ever are over in our neck of the woods (I live in the suburbs of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia) I’d love to meet you!

Philomena Ewing February 7, 2010 at 6:16 am

I go where my fancy takes me so most of mine are pretty unhealthy.

Olives : big fat juicy ones green or black
Fried Bacon and Fried egg !! ( That’s one ). In heaven there will be full English breakfasts and no-one will go on and on about calories, fats or anything else.
Fresh Irish Brown Soda bread with butter
Peanut butter crunchy variety
Italian Ice cream any flavour will do.
( I don’t eat any of these regularly and never in large amounts . Honestly !!

Eric February 7, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hi Cathy, we have dear friends in a suburb of Perth. (We met in Ireland.) They took us to the Margaret Valley a couple of hours south of Perth. The wine was very good, and in addition wine-tasting was so much more pleasant with its beautiful countryside with only a few cars and people. Most of our wine tasting has been in the Napa and Sonoma Valleys in California along with 300,000 other people.

Michelle February 7, 2010 at 9:30 pm

In the midst of a week that, to put it mildly, has been chaotic, I have enjoyed reading everyone’s lists — though could not spare a moment to collect my thoughts on my own list, let along post. But all of your comments have reminded me off and on all week long to be attentive the sights, sounds, tastes, smells and textures of things around me. I might never have noticed how bright red the strawberry I was slicing was, or how incredibly marvelous and bracing that first cup of tea in the morning tastes and smells — or looked up from my desk to catch a glimpse of fiery sunset. Meditations in the moment…and potent remimders that God’s touch is all around us.

Thanks for providing some still points in the whirling vortex!

Michelle

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:04 am

Meredith,

Easy for you. Are you really such a two-note taster?

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:07 am

Maura,

Wish I could share your enthusiasm for the taste of the Eucharist. I’ve always agreed with the person who said that the real miracle of the Eucharist is not believing that it is the Body of Christ but that it began as bread!

Why blush about your husband’s kisses? How wonderful that you enjoy them so much!

Soup. I love soup and, on cold mornings, frequently have Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom for breakfast. My colleagues think it is very eccentric.

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:09 am

Marg,

Wine. The delight to be found in a good bottle of wine (no matter the retail price). Yes. Yes. Yes.

I like lobster and drawn butter (bacon and butter make everything good!) but I’m not sure I’d put it at the top of my list. But your choice is your choice and good on you.

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:10 am

Vinita,

You made me hungry and I’m stuck in an airport waiting lounge with no way to satisfy any of the cravings you have stirred up!

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:13 am

Regina,

A great list, but I’ve got to fixate on the last two. When I was young, my family came to Upstate New York for a vacation. We stopped at a roadside stand and bought some peaches. I’d had peaches before, but was completely unprepared for the explosion of juice and spectacular taste from the peach I ate that day. I am still looking for another perfect peach like that and haven’t even come close.

Curry. Yes, Yes, Yes. Proof that God loves us and wants us to use our taste buds.

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:16 am

Pat,

Thank you for the timely reminder about the taste of God’s Word.

Rolls with butter. My mouth is watering right now.

Never had blackberries with dumplings or honeysuckle. Things to look forward to…

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:18 am

Eric,

This past weekend in England for my brother-in-law’s 80th birthday we had fresh croissants with butter and strawberry jam for breakfast so I know exactly what you mean by them.

And thank you for mentioning garlic. I live garlicly food and have to do without most of the time because one of my community members is allergic to onions and garlic.

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:20 am

Cathy,

If I ever make it to Australia and to Adelaide, you’re on. Thank you!

Paul February 8, 2010 at 5:21 am

Michelle,

If “People For Others” can facilitate your finding “some still points in the whirling vortex” then I can die happy.

Denise February 17, 2010 at 11:05 am

1. Gelato evokes memories of my trip to Italy while still tasting delicious.
2. Lasagna made for a holiday meal.
3. Hot soup that warms the inside while tasting yummy going down (or feeling healing when tasted while ill).
4. The one time I had a perfectly-baked flourless chocolate cake. Only came close to replicating that taste once.
5. Any of my mom’s cooking specialities, esp. the ones with garlic or paprika.

Michelle, I agree that taking some time to consider everything our senses evoke has been a wonderful exercise!