God Doesn’t Have to Try

by Guest on December 19, 2012

This is a guest post by Linda Ricke.

MaryOn the feast of the Immaculate Conception, our priest spoke about Mary being God’s gift to the world. I was reminded that it was a gift to my mother when she left this world 24 years ago on that feast day and got her eternal reward in heaven. And it was a gift when one year ago, also on December 8, my first grandchild was born. And then I remembered that when I went to kindergarten, it was in a convent called the Immaculate Conception. I talked to Father about this afterwards, and he asked me if I thought these occurrences were coincidental. I replied that I knew they weren’t, and then I added, “Maybe God is trying to tell me something.”

“God doesn’t have to try,” my priest said. “He can just do.”

It was as if a light bulb lit up over my head and changed my thinking forever. How many times have I said, “God is trying to tell me something”?

Now I know. God is telling me something, and it’s my job to keep my eyes and ears open to what he’s saying.

It’s a good message for Advent.

Lynda December 19, 2012 at 4:32 am

“God is telling me something, and it’s my job to keep my eyes and ears open to what he’s saying.” Yes! What a powerful message. Thank you.

Fran Rossi Szpylczyn December 19, 2012 at 8:37 am

Pay attention, keep our eyes and ears open to God. It is a wonderful message for Advent and for always. Thank you!

Tim December 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

’tis

Denise J December 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thank you Linda. It’s a nice image, and a good reminder to always pay attention.

For better or worse, after reading this, I keep hearing Yoda in the Star Wars movies admonishing the hero “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” :-)

claire December 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

This is lovely. Thank you!

Robin December 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

And . . .

“Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable” – the first quote (Mary Oliver) in the beautiful calendar I received in Saturday night’s mail — a post Advent (January) reminder to pay attention. Thank you, Loyola Press for the gift of such beautiful images and monthly reminders!

Emma December 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I don’t think we have been listening, myself included. We send unmanned drones out into the world and kill innocent families. We kill our own children before they take their first breath of life. We recently tested more nuclear devices in the Nevada Desert. We spend enormous amounts on violent video games to keep children occupied so that overworked parents don’t have to spend time with them. We profit from the worldwide sale of weapons. We sow violence, hatred and death and expect to harvest peace. God speaks to us in the garden. You can’t plant a watermelon seed and reap tomatoes. It’s so “in your face ” but still we don’t hear.

Simon December 19, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Even though I am less consumed by “stuff” than I used to be, I seem to be one of those people who creates distractions to avoid paying attention to what is important. I am sure I must make God laugh at the way I try to avoid His”messages”. Maybe He’ll turn up the volume. Unfortunately, I’m not sure I want to hear what He is trying to tell me most of the time :-(

lindaricke December 20, 2012 at 12:16 am

Denise J,
I laughed when I read your comment. I did the same thing when Father told me that God doesn’t have to try. I even heard Yoda’s high pitched Hmmm!

Helen C December 20, 2012 at 5:06 am

Simon: Ditto on your comment. I can distract myself to keep what I am called to do at a distance. It seems that what is of utmost importance is evaded or put off never to be gotten to again. I sense a New Year’s resolution developing in my mind.

Maria December 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I was born on a feast of Mary, baptised on a feast of Mary and consecrated to her on 8 December, when I was less than 3 months old. My baptism day is no longer a feast, it has been moved to 1 January, but my history hasn’t changed.