Monday Music Moment – Cheek To Cheek

I have a yearning to go “Old School” today.  For some reason I don’t quite understand, I want to share Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers singing “Cheek to Cheek.”  I love this song and wish I could dance a tenth as well as Astaire. [I do keep remembering Ginger’s line: “I did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.”]

Enjoy.

Comments

1. Simon says

Well if ever there was an advert for highlighting the stupidity of high heels then that was it :-) I suppose everything is relative since I know I would be moving like a robot if ever filmed, but Ginger’s movement wasn’t as fluid as Fred’s. Nice start to a Monday though :-)

Have a great week everyone.

So lovely – the music, the dancing. And yes – backwards and in high heels! As someone deeply committed to flat shoes, I admire the way she did it, but do not recommend it.

Thanks for a smile on a Monday!

3. Katy says

Made me smile too. Always when watching good dancing it makes me “want to learn”. About 10 years ago now since me and my husband went to a dancing class. I’m still trying to persuade him to return (ha).

4. Dolly says

Fr. Paul, in response to your post, the Words of Wisdom says:
    “Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.”~Dave Barry

But please, not in high heels!!! As a dancer (I had ballet training and I choreograph), I enjoyed the video thoroughly! Thank you so much…

• Dolly says

Andie,
      I got this from an e-mail sent to me a long time ago and I copied it because it spoke to me, and still does (no author was given). For some reason, I wanted to share it with you with the hope that you’ll like it too.
      GUIDANCE
      When I meditated on the word GUIDANCE, I kept seeing “dance” at the end of the word. I remember reading that doing God’s will is a lot like dancing.
      When two people try to lead, nothing feels right. The movement doesn’t flow with the music and everything is quite uncomfortable.
      When one person releases and lets the other lead then both begin to flow with the music.
      One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge or pressing lightly in one direction or another. It’s as if two become one, moving beautifully.
      Dance takes surrender, willingness and attentiveness from one person and gentle guidance and skill from the other.
      My eyes drew back to the word GUIDANCE.
      When I saw “G”, I thought of God, followed by “u” and “i”. “God”, “u” and “i” dance.
      This statement is what guidance means to me.
      As I lower my head, I become willing to trust that I would get guidance in my life. Once again, I become willing to let God lead.
      Dance together with God, trusting Him to lead and guide you through each season of your life.
      I hope you dance!!!

5. Denise J says

Backwards, in high heels — and in ostrich feathers! :-) She looks like an angel in flight. No wonder he thinks he’s in heaven!

Happy Monday, everyone!

6. Tim says

From our good friend Friedrich N. -We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

I loved to dance but I seriously need to take lessons, for my wife’s safety and those on the dance floor, just sayin’…

7. Emma says

Takes tremendous amount of trust in your partner to participate when you’re being lifted like that and dipped! even barefoot! been dropped a few times. Still go back for more. Now, hardly ever get dropped. Anything worth accomplishing takes practice. Eventually if you stick with it you take flight and wonder why you ever doubted :) I don’t know about twirling in heels tho. I can’t make one circle without losing my balance. But, it’s fun to get silly and try!

• Emma says

I have spies that told me you put this here :) No pressure. Just sayin ‘
          “I’m tired of dancing here all by myself
          Tonight I wanta dance with someone else
          Get into the groove, boy
          You’ve got to prove your love to me ”
          Fitting than those lyrics come from Madonna, wouldn’t you say? But, that’s as far as I ‘m going with them on this forum. Check your inbox :)

• Rico says

This can’t wait for Valentine’s Day! Find a sitter for Saturday Night. This is an EMERGENCY!!! :)

8. Carol says

I enjoyed watching them.

My daughter is getting married this year and I think dancing lessons could possibly make a difference.