Regular Days

by Guest on January 8, 2013

This is a guest post by Linda Ricke.

calendarVinita Wright reflected recently on her blog Days of Deepening Friendship about the need we have as humans to celebrate. I agree wholeheartedly with her assertion that at certain times we do need to pull away from our everyday and celebrate, whether we feel like it or not.

That being said, I woke up this morning with a craving for normalcy. My palate is tired of sweets and rich foods, and my mind is in need of some routine.

I remember a conversation with my mother when I was a little girl. It must have been after a recent celebration, Christmas or a birthday. I asked her if it was odd that I liked regular days better than holidays. I told her that I preferred the days of normalcy over the hoopla and often exaggeration of celebrations. Her reply was, “That sounds like a good thing, because there are sure a lot more regular days in your life than holidays.”

And she was right. Most of our lives are spent in ordinary time. Celebrations are great in their place, but we need—at least I do—the everyday to make them more special.

Fran Rossi Szpylczyn January 8, 2013 at 9:46 am

Lovely thoughts – from you Linda, and from Vinita. I love how the ordinariness of most of our days shapes the contours of the special days. How would those days even be special, without the regular, daily rhythms of life as foundation?

lindaricke January 8, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Well said.

Lynda January 8, 2013 at 11:43 am

When I think of “ordinary” my mind drifts back to one of the most pivotal moments in my decision to embrace the Catholic expression of the Christian faith. It was the return to Ordinary Time (a totally new concept to me at the time) after Easter in 2002 and I had begun attending the neighbourhood Catholic Church in March. The priest turned to the congregation and before saying anything else he proclaimed: “I just love Ordinary Time, don’t you? For we can just worship Jesus!” Yes, I enjoy ordinariness in many aspects of life.

Thanks, Linda, for providing the opportunity to reflect on the importance of the ordinary times in our lives.

lindaricke January 8, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Interesting. My original title for this post was “Ordinary Time.”

Tim January 8, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I have come to appreciate regular/ordinary days more and more. It’s looking forward to getting up each morning and welcoming all that is about to happen. It’s about going about my business and trying not just to give a smile to someone but to see how many have been given to me. At the end of the day it’s about looking back and sayin’ “It’s all right.”

There is a Celtic folk group out of Newfoundland called Great Big Sea. They have a recording titled “Ordinary Day”. It starts with…

I’ve got a smile on my face, I’ve got four walls around me
The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
I’ll win now but sometimes I’ll lose
I’ve been battered, but I’ll never bruise… it’s not so bad

And I say way-hey-hey, it’s just an ordinary day
And it’s all your state of mind
At the end of the day,
You’ve still got to say… it’s all right…

See their video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wcjBU8zbdY

Have an incredibly ordinary day everyone…

Denise January 8, 2013 at 2:44 pm

What a catchy tune for the day!

lindaricke January 8, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for the music to accompany my post.

Carol January 8, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Thanks Tim and Linda

annette January 8, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Yes, without the contrast there would be little appreciation of either. But like you said Linda, it is nice to get back to the normal pace of life. To settle it down.

This is the week that the Christmas parephanalia comes down in my house. I find it bittersweet to put the decorations away…knowing another year has come and gone but I am also happy for the contrast of my house after all the outward signs of celebration are gone. It’s like a new slate and the cycle of my own year begins again.

Thanks for this reflection, Linda!

lindaricke January 8, 2013 at 7:46 pm

It is bittersweet. I’m so ready for the clutter to be out of the way, but it’s still hard too put it away. And how quickly do the years seem to come and go.

Dolly January 8, 2013 at 6:25 pm

All the days of the year are gifts and are blessed by God. But I do not use them wisely: ordinary days become tedious when I go about filling myself with all the stresses that I can pour into my poor being. The holidays, as well, become tiresome and stressful because of the way I misuse my energy. Most of the time, I fall prey to the overrated commercial hypes and overexcitement of people around me. I personally feel that it is in my outlook and attitude that make the difference; and mostly, it is because I lose focus in my direction. Times when I feel so burdened because everything becomes urgent but not necessarily important. Then I get the feeling that there is not enough time for me to accomplish anything. I have so much expectations on myself.

I have come to enjoy the holidays for what they stand for: the essence of the holiday, rest and relaxation, a time to bond with loved ones and friends. All else is secondary. I try to do the same with my ordinary days, and probably because I have more of the ordinariness, I do not always succeed. But I welcome the thought of waking up every morning to an ordinary day or a holiday.

lindaricke January 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I fall victim to trying to make the most of every second with the people who I only get to see during the Christmas holiday, and it’s exhausting. This year for our grown children’s main gift we gave them the gift of time together. We will fly them all to a central location where we will all spend a few days together just to reconnect without all the presents and decorations to do. We will, of course, include lots of kitchen time and the gifts that come out of our family’s favorite room. We are all looking forward to our little family reunion.

Michelle January 8, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I like the ordinary days, too. Perhaps because I have no particular expectations, I am more likely to be surprised by what happens?! And I like surprises….

lindaricke January 8, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I agree. I am much more likely to notice the surprises when there isn’t so much hoopla going around me.

Jim January 8, 2013 at 8:54 pm

This is a tangent, but I’m reading a free book I found in a Catholic Church (no, I didn’t steal it; they were literally giving them away). The chapter I’m on now is called, “What Are We Celebrating?” The author (Matthew Kelly) reminds us that we become what we celebrate. Our priorities make us the people we become, and the same goes for our nation, our church, and any other community people form. And what we celebrate on ordinary days is just as important as what we celebrate on holidays.

Emma January 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm

This rings true to me. I much prefer an unexpected visit that turns itself into a spontaneous celebration. Unfortunately, what is dictated by calendar, society and yes, even the church as a holiday to be celebrated, seems to be more of a chore than a celebration. Lack of family leads to an absence of tradition which could be to blame. Still I put on my happy face and just pray to make it through without creating any drama! I hate to say It, but I am so very relieved that it is behind me for another year. Now I can go back to being my normal self and take off the mask that I wore for the past month. What a relief to “only “have to contend with a cranky teething baby, classes and keeping the mud that the dog tracks in cleaned up!

Linda Ricke January 9, 2013 at 2:40 am

Most of our ordinary days are busy enough. I can relate to your comments. Sometimes celebrations do become an overly long to-do list that gets checked off, item by item. That’s the Martha (of Martha & Mary fame) in me, but that’s another post.

Jim January 9, 2013 at 7:59 pm

My childhood holidays were very Norman Rockwell, so Christmas is generally the highlight of my year. I imagine I would look forward to the holidays a lot less eagerly if I were in your place.

claire January 8, 2013 at 9:11 pm

A lovely post, Linda :-)
I woke up this morning realizing that after next Sunday we are returning to Ordinary Times and I am glad we do.
I am not sure I can say that I prefer ordinary times to feast days. But I will certainly appreciate the normalcy of the coming weeks :-)

Linda Ricke January 9, 2013 at 2:43 am

Thanks ever so for all your comments. Have an extraordinary ordinary day!