One Question with Catherine Brunell

by Paul on February 7, 2013

I was allowed to ask Catherine Wiecher Brunell one question about her book, Becoming Catholic, Again.

Simon February 7, 2013 at 7:21 am

I can relate to that reluctance. I guess that we are reluctant in many areas of our lives. I like the comforts that my income brings me but I’m quite reluctant, at times, to do what it takes to generate that income :-( We can’t have our cake and eat it as it were.

Why just the one question? It sounds like the sort of thing the “stars” would specify to the media on one of their pre-tour/film publicity rounds. I can’t imagine Loyola Press getting into those shenanigans :-)

Tim February 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

I am looking forward to reading Catherine’s work, many thanks…

Lynda February 7, 2013 at 11:39 am

I really enjoy reading down-to-earth stories of faith journeys so I ordered it as soon as I heard of it. It is an excellent book. There is a lot of food for thought here.

Andie February 7, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Yes, it sounds like a book that I’d like to read as well. Funny, I just posted on free will and your motivations, love or fear. That’s what I was hearing from Catherine, what I should do vs. what feels right deep down. Thanks for this.

Maria Evans February 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I am a very reluctant Catholic when I hear some statements from the Vatican. An example is the latest from a Dominican about why women can’t be priests.

Jim February 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I’m not familiar with the statement you mentioned, but I have the same issue with the Church. We are apparently supposed to accept that the ordination of women will never happen, ultimately because the ancient Hebrews did not have priestesses. We can’t have priestesses because Jesus did not ordain priestesses, and the most likely reason he did not do so is because it would have been a bridge too far in a culture where female priests were out of the question.

I keep reading this argument that priestesses would have been acceptable because the Romans had them, but . . . no. No, they wouldn’t. Jesus was a Hebrew, as were his followers, so pagan priestesses would have been, at best, irrelevant as religious models to his followers, if not examples of how depraved the Romans were. Ordaining priestesses would probably have been tantamount to paganism in that time and place (as it is for some conservative Christians today), and it would thus have been a major barrier to winning converts. The Kingdom of God grows when and how it can, I think, and in the case of Jesus’ mission, that meant he had to accommodate some of the weaknesses of the culture in which he was working. That was not the time and place to ordain priestesses or decry the evils of slavery. The best he could do, while still allowing the Kingdom of God to take root, was to give us the tools to evolve into beings capable of recognizing slavery and patriarchy as the injustices they are.

annette February 7, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Wow! For being one question it packs a serious punch! I am with you Catherine…wonderful use of “shouldisms” by the way! But I agree, there are just things that even as a young person I could not get on board with. Sometimes I think that my father’s Lutheran heritage and my mother’s Catholic heritage are doing battle within me. I also think it is a good battle lest the “shouldiness” of it all dominate and there end up being no substance for me.

Jim February 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm

This sounds like a good book for me. I dance the same tango with my Catholicism, at turns feeling pulled toward it and pushed away from it. There are a lot of beautiful things about Catholicism, but it’s hard to label myself a Catholic when there are important issues where the Church and I are hopelessly at odds.

Maura Sweeney February 7, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I think it is the dance every serious Catholic must tread at some point in their journey of faith.

Mike Leach February 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Love it! Attractive author, attractive book, attractive answer, beloved TV host! Merv Griffin, right?

Denise J February 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I hope, when the cameras stopped recording, you got to ask your follow-up question. :-)