Monday Music Moment – Grow Old Along With Me

I have always liked Mary Chapin Carpenter’s “Grow Old Along With Me,” but I never realized that it was from a Robert Browning poem and that the song was written by John Lennon.

Comments

1. Lynda says

Listening to that song reminds me of a couple who came into the Sacristy for a blessing on Sunday and stopped to speak with me while they waited for the priest. She explained that they had been married for forty years and now her husband has Alzheimer’s and she is his full-time caregiver. They smiled so radiantly at each other and I was touched that they have been together for so long and love each other very much in spite of their circumstances; however, I am sad for their circumstances. Her sacrifice is an act of love and faith. I was humbled to be in their presence.

2. Ron Montpetit says

I echo the sentiments of the songs and the contents of your words, Father Paul and Lynda.

On the wings of a song and a prayer,

Ron

3. Father Joseph LeBlanc, SJ says

I thought of the show on PBS “the last tango in Halifax”…two elderly people who are deciding to remarry again after the death of their spouses. ..great music to go with the show.

• Paul says

Father LeBlanc,

Welcome to the world of commenting on PFO! Funny you should mention that program. I have recorded it, but not yet watched it. Now, I’m really looking forward to it.

4. Denise J says

A beautiful song. Thanks for sharing.

I knew the first two lines of the poem by Browning, but had never read through the whole thing. I spent about half an hour doing that this morning, just trying to absorb it all, and ended up late for work. Really, is there a better way to start off the week? :-)

With two daughters dealing with all the drama and stress of high school, I find myself telling them often — albeit far less eloquently than Browning —
    “Our times are in His hand
    Who saith, ‘A whole I planned,
    Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!’ ”

Usually, when I send that message it just comes out: “It gets better.”

Good week, everyone.

5. Eileen Bensen says

It’s from “Rabbi Ben Ezra”. Mybrother-in-law recited at our wedding in 1977. And it’s t rue: “the best is yet to be,the last for which the first is made. our times are in His hands, who sa’ith the whole I planned, not half,nor be afraid'”. Our life together has been tough, and occasionally tragic, often sad, but joyous,hopeful, and oh so precious. It helps, I think,that this Irish girl married the archetype of a silent Norwegian farmer, who puts up with my large and raucous family, who after all these years don’t know what to make of the Scandinavian in our midst. The upside? I get to do all the talking, all the time!

What a beautiful song…I love MCC and I knew the poem but not the John Lennon part. How lovely and what a wonderful start to the week…maybe I should go sing this to my husband. :D

• says

He is so used to me breaking out in song that he just indulges. Not sure he is touched anymore, I have been doing this to him upwards of 30 years. haha!

But, I actually forgot because I got distracted by the news out of DC since my brother does business in the Navy yard. Ironically, he was safe in Saudi Arabia. Oy! Healing prayers for the families who were not so fortunate.

7. Mike says

On behalf of my wife and myself, I would like to thank for the wonderful anniversary present.

Today (9/17/13) is our 30th wedding anniversary. When we saw this yesterday it was like you had sent us a special anniversary present.

We both agree that although the calendar says that we have been married for 30 years…it feels like it has only been for 10.

Thanks again for the wonderful present.

Mike