Monday Music Moment – Grow Old Along With Me

by Paul on September 16, 2013

I have always liked Mary Chapin Carpenter’s “Grow Old Along With Me,” but I never realized that it was from a Robert Browning poem and that the song was written by John Lennon.

Lynda September 16, 2013 at 4:16 am

Listening to that song reminds me of a couple who came into the Sacristy for a blessing on Sunday and stopped to speak with me while they waited for the priest. She explained that they had been married for forty years and now her husband has Alzheimer’s and she is his full-time caregiver. They smiled so radiantly at each other and I was touched that they have been together for so long and love each other very much in spite of their circumstances; however, I am sad for their circumstances. Her sacrifice is an act of love and faith. I was humbled to be in their presence.

annette September 16, 2013 at 5:45 pm

What a beautiful story. Thanks Lynda.

Paul September 16, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Lynda,

I was going to write exactly what Annette said! How lovely it is to see the beauty through the sadness of Alzheimer’s.

Ron Montpetit September 16, 2013 at 6:36 am

I echo the sentiments of the songs and the contents of your words, Father Paul and Lynda.

On the wings of a song and a prayer,

Ron

Paul September 16, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Ron,

Good to hear from you! The sentiments in this song are, as you note, beautiful. I wish I could be so eloquent.

Tim September 16, 2013 at 9:42 am

Wonderful song to start the week. Blessings to all…

Paul September 16, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Tim,

I agree. It’s always good to start the week on an uplifting note.

Father Joseph LeBlanc, SJ September 16, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I thought of the show on PBS “the last tango in Halifax”…two elderly people who are deciding to remarry again after the death of their spouses. ..great music to go with the show.

Paul September 16, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Father LeBlanc,

Welcome to the world of commenting on PFO! Funny you should mention that program. I have recorded it, but not yet watched it. Now, I’m really looking forward to it.

Denise J September 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

A beautiful song. Thanks for sharing.

I knew the first two lines of the poem by Browning, but had never read through the whole thing. I spent about half an hour doing that this morning, just trying to absorb it all, and ended up late for work. Really, is there a better way to start off the week? :-)

With two daughters dealing with all the drama and stress of high school, I find myself telling them often — albeit far less eloquently than Browning —
“Our times are in His hand
Who saith, ‘A whole I planned,
Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!’ ”

Usually, when I send that message it just comes out: “It gets better.”

Good week, everyone.

Paul September 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Denise,

Oh, dear. I made you late for work. Shame on me!

Eileen Bensen September 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm

It’s from “Rabbi Ben Ezra”. Mybrother-in-law recited at our wedding in 1977. And it’s t rue: “the best is yet to be,the last for which the first is made. our times are in His hands, who sa’ith the whole I planned, not half,nor be afraid’”. Our life together has been tough, and occasionally tragic, often sad, but joyous,hopeful, and oh so precious. It helps, I think,that this Irish girl married the archetype of a silent Norwegian farmer, who puts up with my large and raucous family, who after all these years don’t know what to make of the Scandinavian in our midst. The upside? I get to do all the talking, all the time!

Paul September 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Eileen,

Now I’m confused. You mean it isn’t from Robert Browning?

Denise J September 16, 2013 at 9:47 pm

The title of the poem by Browning is “Rabbi Ben Ezra.” And I can’t think of a better reason to be late to work than reading poetry. :-)

annette September 16, 2013 at 5:47 pm

What a beautiful song…I love MCC and I knew the poem but not the John Lennon part. How lovely and what a wonderful start to the week…maybe I should go sing this to my husband. :D

Paul September 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Annette,

I wonder how your husband reacted if you did sing this to him? I trust he was touched.

annette September 17, 2013 at 12:46 pm

He is so used to me breaking out in song that he just indulges. Not sure he is touched anymore, I have been doing this to him upwards of 30 years. haha!

But, I actually forgot because I got distracted by the news out of DC since my brother does business in the Navy yard. Ironically, he was safe in Saudi Arabia. Oy! Healing prayers for the families who were not so fortunate.

Mike September 17, 2013 at 1:12 pm

On behalf of my wife and myself, I would like to thank for the wonderful anniversary present.

Today (9/17/13) is our 30th wedding anniversary. When we saw this yesterday it was like you had sent us a special anniversary present.

We both agree that although the calendar says that we have been married for 30 years…it feels like it has only been for 10.

Thanks again for the wonderful present.

Mike