10. As a student, he worked as a bouncer in a nightclub.
9. He loved to tango.
8. His favorite movie is Babette’s Feast.
7. He has been accused of never smiling. (Allegedly, this was part of a smear campaign by “liberal” Jesuits.)
6. Despite having studied the language in Dublin, English is the foreign language he speaks least well.
5. It will come as no surprise to learn he flew Economy Class to the Conclave that elected him pope.
4. A report states that his favorite pop song is “You Don’t Know You’re Beautiful,” by One Direction. [But why would it be in English when he doesn’t speak the language well?]
3. Harley-Davidson gave him two motorbikes. They’re for Swiss Guard use, but this pope is so informal you can almost imagine him peeling out of the Vatican on one!
2. When he met the Jesuit Superior General, he told him he’d prefer that they both use the informal “Tu” instead of the formal “Usted” because they are brothers.
1. Friends in Rome tell me that the pope sometimes sneaks out of the Vatican to visit friends.
[I used the cover of Chris Lowney’s book as an illustration, but most of these facts were gleaned from the internet.]