Spy Wednesday 2014

256px-Giotto_-_Scrovegni_-_-31-_-_Kiss_of_Judas

In Genesis, we read of Joseph (the one with the “Technicolor Dreamcoat”) who was betrayed by his older brother, Judah, who sold him into slavery in Egypt. Joseph, of course, prefigures Jesus who was later betrayed by another Judas (this one from the town of Kerioth, from which comes his nickname of “Iscariot.”)

Betrayal is always destructive and tragic. But to be betrayed by a kiss must be unbearably wrenching because it is so direct and immediate

I’ll bet that each one of us has experienced some form of betrayal in our lives and has been scarred by it. Many of us would also have to admit that, at some point, we have in some way betrayed others.

Isn’t it good to know that, unlike Judas, we don’t have to commit suicide but, like St. Peter, we can face Our Lord again and accept His love and forgiveness?

Comments

The image of the kiss from the betrayer conjured up the times when the kiss is not truly meant and hides negative feelings never shared. This may come to my mind because I come from a country, France, where kissing those we meet is a natural thing to do.
    The image also conjured up marriage relationships where love is no longer nurtured…
    Wow, Paul, such strange thoughts on this day.

The pain we feel when we realize we have been betrayed can be medicinal – over time. Initially, hugging the hurt can begin to feel delicious.
    Naughty girl, surrender your “poor me” tears. Gird your loins. Dare to remember the times you betrayed.
    Jesus is innocent. You are not. Apologize. Move on.
    Peace.
    Barbara

Like Claire, kisses have been on my mind today, too. On Spy Wednesday 27 years ago, I was walking out the door of my office to go to a meeting, and on a whim, came back in and kissed my husband. He died Holy Thursday. This morning, dashing down the stairs, my second husband called out, “A kiss?” and back up I went.

We kiss for greetings and departures, we give the kiss of peace and we say “kiss off!”…and yet we keep on giving them and hoping to receive them. Mercy and trust and hope are all entwined here, in our hearts and in our souls.

• says

Michelle,

Your story brought tears to my eyes. My husband kisses me hello, goodbye…all the time and that image on such a holy day just struck me. Thank you for sharing.

Annette

4. Emma says

That we can face our Lord again and be forgiven displays for us a template for our relationships with others. Don’t you think? Judas had only to ask for forgiveness. The sadder part of betrayal is seen in the person who isolates him /herself from betrayal, from hurt, never taking a chance on true intimacy and love. That person will never experience the pain of betrayal, but neither will they experience love. Love is symbiotic. It gives, it receives. It forgives. Little betrayals, sometimes huge betrayals come whenever we open ourselves up to another. Only God is constant.

5. Simon says

You are right about trying to see when we have betrayed others. The thing about feelings is that no one can feel someone else’s pain. Someone might feel indescribable pain from something that I may see as trivial. The “get over it” response to something that someone else may never get over.

I know I’ve hurt people and I know that people have hurt me. I just pray that God forgives all of us and that includes Judas.